Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chocolate-colored lipstick

Magpie Tales blog posts a photo each week that's meant to serve as inspiration for a poem, vignette, or other short piece of writing. Have a look via the link - this week the photo shows a tube of chocolate-colored lipstick (at least, the color looks chocolate to me). And so I wrote:

Reasons to wear chocolate-colored lipstick

When I speak the words emerge in a slow lingual melt.

My lips are no longer chapped and worry-bitten, but creamy and smooth.

I transform into the gypsy Theobroma, who paints chocolate on her lips and burnt umber round her eyes.

When the lipstick gets on my teeth people wonder what kind of chocolate I've eaten, and if I still have some to share.

I taste sweetness and bitterness both when I bite down on my lip.

I'm a child for a little while, chocolate-smeared and smiling.

Whatever I kiss turns into cocoa.